Date:      Thu, 8 Nov 2001 14:10:50 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        "Shawn O'Bryhim" <antiquitas@earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mac/pc

On Thu, Nov 08, 2001 at 12:33:41PM +0000, Shawn O'Bryhim wrote:
> I am interested in sing freebsd but have a few questions.  I have a PC with
> Windos 98 on it and a Toshiba laptop with windows 95.  My husband has a MAC.
> We have a DSL connection for the internet and would like to be able to use
> the connection on both his MAC and my PC at the same time.  If I were to put
> freebsd on my laptop and use that for my internet purposes only, would we be
> able to create a network between my laptop, his MAC and my PC with freebsd?
> I hope this is not too confusing.

Not too confusing as its a natural task for FreeBSD and a very large
number of people on this list are doing what you describe.

First issue is the use of a laptop as network gateway/router/firewall
connected to your DSL service. Do you have 2 network interfaces on the
laptop, one for "inside" and another for "outside"? Is needed for this
task. Is the DSL ethernet? I can't say how FreeBSD behaves with USB
network devices as some DSL modems do not have ethernet. Also you will
need an ethernet switch or hub for your inside machines and your inside
network.

While I happen to use FreeBSD systems at home and work to do just the
sort of thing you describe, and its very good educational experience to
set one up, dedicated home router/firewalls are dirt cheap sometimes
under $50 after the rebates. Otherwise $90 outright. Amazon.com has the
SMC7004AWBR wireless which I have for $190. Have seen the non-wireless
for $90, $50 mail-in rebate, net $40. Includes 4 smart 10/100 ethernet
switch ports. SMC has been very good about providing useful firmware
upgrades.

Others have mentioned Samba and NetAtalk as "needed to connect Mac/PC".
For nothing but an internet connection this is not true. The only reason
you might need Samba and/or NetAtalk is to use the FreeBSD machine as a
fileserver for Windows (Samba) or Macintosh (NetAtalk). If you have both
configured to use the same disk space then the Mac and PC can share
files located on the FreeBSD machine. I have an old 133 MHz 486 which
serves perfectly for this task.

I haven't played with MacOS X hard enough yet but believe it includes
NFS (as does FreeBSD). So NetAtalk would not be needed if the Mac is X.
Then again if the Mac is X is only a matter of time (if not already)
before Samba is running there.

> Also, I am still not clear about how freebsd works.  If I put that on my
> laptop that has win95, will i still see or use win95, or will it be totally
> gone? ( i won't cry if that's the case).

FreeBSD is a complete OS. Can occupy an entire HD or one or more
partitions on one or more HD's. You can use a boot manager of your
choosing to select which partition (and therefore OS) you boot, or you
can use the one FreeBSD includes to boot Windows, FreeBSD, or whatever
else you have.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net