Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 2002 13:31:36 -0500
From:      Sean O'Neill <sean@seanoneill.info>
To:        David Wilk <admin@cia-g.com>, Darren Pilgrim <dmp@pantherdragon.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Updating my ports tree?

Be careful using portupgrade for EVERYTHING.  Upgrading things can at times
mess up your old configuration settings.  If you update everything at once,
it tough to figure out what's not working immediately assuming you have
lots of stuff installed - like me.

This is a script I wrote that somewhat helps me manage my machine and the
ports installation.  I usually use the "port-upgrade" option and walk
through the ports I think are important first.  Once I have everything
important individually upgraded and verified as working.  I actually rarely
using the allport-upgrade switch with this script anymore.

#!/usr/local/bin/ksh
KERNEL="COMPAQ-tuned"
CVSUPFILE="/usr/cvs-supfile"

case "$1" in

'buildworld')
    cd /usr/src
    make clean
    make buildworld
    ;;

'installworld')
    cd /usr/src
    make installworld
    ;;

'buildkernel')
    if [ ! -z "${2}" ]; then
       KERNEL=${2}
    fi
    cd /usr/src
    make buildkernel KERNCONF=${KERNEL}
    ;;

'installkernel')
    if [ ! -z "${2}" ]; then
       KERNEL=${2}
    fi
    cd /usr/src
    make installkernel KERNCONF=${KERNEL}
    ;;

'update')
    cd /usr/src
    echo "Updating source in /usr/src ..."
    make update
    ;;

# rebuild-pkdb was added specifically for the following which indicates the
# pkgdb.db file is corrupt:
# /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.6/pkgdb.rb:243:in `each_key': tried to
allocate too big memory (NoMemoryError)

'rebuild-pkgdb')
    pkgdb -fu
    ;;

'ports-workclean')
    for portdir in $(find . -type d -name work -print)
    do
       cd ${portdir}
       cd ..
       make clean
    done
    ;;

'portdb-clean')
    /usr/local/sbin/pkgdb -F
    ;;

'allport-upgrade')
    echo "NOTE: Did you run allport-chk first and you are sure you want to
do this?"
    sleep 5
    echo "Updating ports using portupgrade ..."
    /usr/local/sbin/portupgrade -ra
    ;;

'port-upgrade')
    if [ ! -z "${2}" ]; then
       PORT=${2}
    else
       echo "ERROR: You must specify a port to upgrade you dork !!!"
       exit 1
    fi
    echo "NOTE: Did you run allport-chk first and you are sure you want to
do this?"
    sleep 5
    echo "Updating ${PORT} using portupgrade ..."
    /usr/local/sbin/portupgrade -r ${PORT}
    ;;

'allport-chk')
    echo "NOTE: This assumes the ports tree has been updated recently."
    echo "Checking ports needing to be upgraded ..."
    pkg_version -L =
    ;;

*)
    echo "Usage: ${0} <option - see below> [ KERNELNAME (e.g. GENERIC) ]"
    echo "       Only buildkernel and installkernel utilize the KERNELNAME
option."
    echo "       If not specified, KERNELNAME defaults to 'compaq-tuned'."
    echo
    echo "       buildworld    - rebuilds everthing except kernel stuff"
    echo "       installworld  - installs everthing except kernel stuff"
    echo "       buildkernel   - rebuilds kernel as specified by KERNELNAME"
    echo "       installkernel - installs kernel as specified by KERNELNAME"
    echo "       update        - updates ALL sources (src, ports, doc)"
    echo "       rebuild-pkgdb - rebuilds the /var/pkg/db/pkgdb.db file"
    echo "       ports-workclean - cleans out work dirs and distfiles for"
    echo "                         ALL ports"
    echo "       portdb-clean    - Clean up the pkg database"
    echo "       allport-upgrade  - updates ports needing to be
upgraded.  Run allport-chk first."
    echo "       port-upgrade <PORTNAME> - updates individual port needing
to be upgraded.  Run allport-chk first."
    echo "       allport-chk      - checks ports needing upgrades"
    ;;

esac

At 12:10 PM 6/26/2002 -0600, David Wilk wrote:
>Darren,
>
>I'm about to start the same process, and being new to FreeBSD, was wondering
>what you did and how it worked out for you.
>
>thanks,
>Dave

Sean O'Neill