Date:      Fri, 27 Apr 2001 13:39:26 +1000
From:      Tony Landells <ahl@austclear.com.au>
To:        "Jonathan Fortin" <jfortin@akalink.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: *.example.net

jfortin@akalink.com said:
> The whole point of using wildcard DNS in my regard is if you got a
> production website, you would point *.yourdomain.com to the IP address
> to redirect impotent users to your homepage, then you can rewrite the
> HTTP_HOST header with mod _rewrite making it seem like they didn't
> mistype it which is actually good, but either then that I wouldnt see
> the use.

That's an interesting idea, but I'd submit that if you've followed
convention and named your Web site "www.yourdomain.com", then the
only thing you're saving them from is mistyping "www", because if
they mistype "yourdomain.com" they're not going to get your DNS server
anyway.

If you haven't followed convention then you're making life difficult
for other people anyway, and making "all roads lead to Rome" would
seem a contradiction.

If you had a good reason for not naming your Web server "www" but want
people to find it as "www", then you can put in a separate A record or
CNAME record that leads them in the right direction.

Cheers,
Tony
--
Tony Landells					<ahl@austclear.com.au>
Senior Network Engineer				Ph:  +61 3 9677 9319