Date:      Sat, 24 Oct 1998 23:20:49 -0400
From:      Harlan Stenn <Harlan.Stenn@pfcs.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: debugger("bt742a")?

Greg,

The two 4-mm drives I have are Connor DDS-2 drives, and they're probably
about 2 years old.  Neither gets a lot of use.  I clean them more often
than the cleaning light comes on (which is usually after an older tape gets
read).

Is it "worth" overhauling the DDS-2 drives?  I've avoided 8mm because I'm
not fond of the wear caused by helical scanning.

If this is true, I figure my choices are:

- Overhaul my existing drives
- get new 4mm drives
- get DLT drives (*Much* more expensive)

If I could find a writable DVD drive I'd consider that as my backup medium.
CDRoms at 600M are just too small.

Suggestions?

The "second" machine (ah controller and my primary amanda server) is where
I first noticed the problem.  Lately, certain filesystems refuse to be
backed up and end up on the holding disk, and I cannot amflush them to tape.
I noticed a rare disk sector I/O problem, and reformatted the disk.  Even
so, when I would try to read or write a tape on this system, I would
frequently get a system SCSI lockup that required hitting the reset button.
This is when I tried reading the tape on the "first" system (bt controller)
and eventually discovered that I had to do this from vt0 to see that the
kernel was trapping to the debugger.

On the second machine (ah controller) I just get SCSI bus lockups, but no
debugger traps (and when this happens I can't use the vulcan death grip to
get in to the debugger).