Date:      Sun, 28 Oct 2001 21:21:45 +0100
From:      Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@bsd.hu>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Midi driver causes panic a la "Driver Mistake..."

Hello everybody,

While the flamage rages on on cvs-all, I would like to report the second
driver that does not pass the recently introduced warning-to-panic test
because of driver mistake. It is the Midi driver (device midi and device seq)

I have an SB 64 AWE ISA PnP card so I had these devices in my kernel config
(GENERIC does not have them so only custom kernels are affected.)

Card identified as:
sbc0: <Creative SB AWE64> at port 0x220-0x22f,0x330-0x331,0x388-0x38b irq 5
drq 1,5 on isa0
pcm0: <SB 16 DSP 4.16> on sbc0
midi0 <SB Midi interface> on sbc0

featuring the following ddb trace: (sorry, transcribed by hand:-(

Debugger
panic
make_dev
midiinit
mpu_attach
mpusbc_attach
device_probe_and_attach
bus_generic_attach
sbc_attach
device_probe_and_attach
isa_probe_children
configure
mi_startup
begin

and the WARNING is: (right after the midi0: line)
WARNING: Driver mistake: repeat make_dev ("dspr0.0")

-CURRENT from today's make world.

NB I think midi driver code may have other problems too... it doesn't seem to be
heavily maintained these days.

(PS Note to self: If this mail appears on the list, that means I have
managed to route around my ISP's broken SMTP server.)
--
Regards:

Szilveszter ADAM
Szombathely Hungary