Date:      Wed, 27 May 1998 12:03:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tera.tera.com>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        kemiller@hcs.harvard.edu, mike@smith.net.au, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: improper shutdown

According to Mike Smith:

> > > Are you seeing a diagnostic at boot time telling you to update
> > > /etc/fstab?  Have you done so?
> >
> > if you're referring to the sd0a vs sd03a thing, that's not it.  the only
> > diagnostic i'm getting is CLEAN BIT NOT SET IN SUPERBLOCK.  if you're
> > referring to anything else, i don't think i've seen it.
>
> Sorry then, no ideas.  I'm not seeing it on any systems here.

	I had similar problems with my 10GB 2.2.5 6x86 box.  The
	solution was to write a simple script which fsck'd my
	three SCSI drives twice; then called shutdown.

	It's been .LT. a week since I've upgraded to 2.2.6 but
	so far  I haven't seen the same problem.  If I didn't know
	better, I'd guess it was a problem with the ordering of
	/filesystems in fstab.  But what was usually ``UNCLEAN'' was
	/home.  So...   Hoping that it was one of those mysterious
	bugs.

	gary