Date:      Fri, 14 Dec 2001 13:45:03 +1100
From:      Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>
To:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Uptime not so good after all -- why does my net connection go dead?

On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 02:44:43AM +0100, Anthony Atkielski wrote:
> Okay, I guess that's not so bad.  I'm going to see if harmonizing the subnet
> masks on the router and FreeBSD makes the problem go away.  If not, I might

That's always a good thing to have your stuff in order before you
put things into production:

Network-layer: make sure hub/switch to router/workstation/server
interface speeds and definitions are the same. (100Mbps vs 10Mbps
vs 1Gbps and half-duplex vs full-duplex)

IP-layer: make sure the subnet masks are the same. make sure that
the IP addresses are not re-used and try to have a list of
MAC-addresses for important machines (=your host and your router).

Edwin
--
Edwin Groothuis   |              Personal website: http://www.MavEtJu.org
edwin@mavetju.org |           Interested in MUDs? Visit Fatal Dimensions: