Date:      Fri, 05 Jan 2001 17:47:06 -0800
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: buildworld Problems at NTP

> On Fri, Jan 05, 2001 at 03:54:20PM -0800, Dima Dorfman wrote:
> > > Any more ideas what to try here?
> >
> > I'm sure you already thought of this, but have you made sure that you
> > aren't running any memory-hogging applications?  I just compiled all
> > the ntp programs on my laptop which is a Pentium 75 with 24MB of
> > memory and 64MB of swap (I didn't do an entire buildworld; I don't
> > really want to wait a day).  It's running 5.0-20001223-CURRENT, and
> > compiled the ntp suite from 5.0-20010101-CURRENT.
>
> Pretty lean on this machine, I make sure to turn off SETI@Home for
> builds or it'll swap like a maniac. ;) Perhaps I should point out that
> I am building with sources mounted via NFS, but /usr/obj is local.

For the tests I described above, the equivalents (i.e., I used
different paths) of /usr/src and /usr/obj were both on NFS-mounted
filesysems.  If anything, this should makes things easier on the build
host, provided that the NFS subsystem doesn't puke, of course.

>   [170:~] ps uax

I don't see anything abnormal here.  If you just want to get this
stuff built, you might try adding more swap using the vn(4) driver.
As to why make is getting killed, however, I'm at a loss.  Although it
shouldn't matter, you might try rebooting.  This is current, after
all, and as such it's not immune to weird bugs.

					Dima Dorfman
					dima@unixfreak.org