Date:      Fri, 25 Jun 1999 19:11:35 +0900
From:      Motoyuki Konno <motoyuki@snipe.rim.or.jp>
To:        Nik Clayton <nclayton@lehman.com>
Cc:        Jun Kuriyama <kuriyama@sky.rim.or.jp>, doc@freebsd.org, freebsd-translate@ngo.org.uk, jdp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Resolution: FDP reorganisation

Hi,

Nik Clayton <nclayton@lehman.com> wrote:
> > > I will then RE-IMPORT the non-English docs into the tree into the new
> > > directories.  This means that all the non-English docs will revert to
> > > revision 1.1 when you next see them.
> >
> > I don't like this.  Commit logs for Japanese files include many
> > "Submitted by:" record which has contributor's name.  If it is possible,
> > I want it to be reserved.
>
> OK.  There's two bits of information here.
>
> The first is the record that <foo@bar> has submitted changes to the
> documentation.  This is relatively easy to preserve, and actually should
> be, probably as another section in "Contributors to FreeBSD" chapter.
> Certainly the members of the translation teams that have put so much effort
> in to translating the documentation should be recognised, and I have
> absolutely no problem with that whatsoever.
[snip]
> Obviously, we'd lose the record of who did the actual commit (because it
> would be me) and the precise time that the commit happened would be lost.
> But the CVS deltas would be preserved.

I cannot understand why you want to do such a complicated way.
"Repository copy" is much more easier, I think.

> > Is it difficult to keep it as "ja"?
>
> Yes.  To reiterate, here's some functionality that I want to add that would
> not be possible if it stays as "ja".
>
> Two encodings, eucJP and SJIS.  We can mechanically convert between the
> two, however, the Japanese team have decided that the primary format
> will be eucJP.
>
> That does not preclude a Japanese admin from wanting to install docs in the
> SJIS encoding.  They might want to install these docs *instead of* the
> eucJP docs, or they might want to install these docs *as well as* the eucJP
> docs.

Japanese users use eucJP, SJIS and ISO2022-JP at the same time.
Because most of Japanese utility automaticaly convert the encodings.

#  For example, mule (Multilingual Emacs) can display eucJP, SJIS,
#and ISO2022-JP encoding document at the same time on the same window.

> So, we need a way of allowing the admin to install documentation in two
> formats.

So,  It is NEEDLESS at all.