Date:      Mon, 24 Aug 2009 14:51:41 -0600
From:      Tim Judd <tajudd@gmail.com>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        Kelly Martin <kellymartin@gmail.com>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: hard disk failure - now what?

On 8/24/09, Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de> wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 14:13:22 -0600, Tim Judd <tajudd@gmail.com> wrote:
>> If I were you, get a copy of spinrite (from grc.com) and always keep
>> it handy.  It can be risky on a drive already failing.  Here's what
>> I'd do....
>>
>> Buy spinrite, no matter what.
>
> Is it really such a good tool? From my own problems, I researched
> that common recovery tools are "R-Studio" and "UFS Explorer". Both
> do not natively run on BSD, but the first one offers a bootable
> CD. Without buying, you can run the diagnostics mode fullwise.
> For recovery, you need to buy the program.
>
> The "Spinrite" web page reads as follows:
>
> 	The industry's #1 hard drive data recovery
> 	software is NOW COMPATIBLE with NTFS,
> 	FAT, Linux, and ALL OTHER file systems!

It's OS/FS independent.  it works on the bits stored on the magnetic
platters, NOT on a filesystem.  TiVo, Linux, BSD and Mac OSX drives
are treated the same.  Bits on a magnetic platter.  It's recovery
stems from the randomization and movement of the head to the sector in
question that allows it to salvage any bits it can (for example, other
recovery will abandon 512bytes if 1 bit cannot be read.  spinrite will
recover 512bytes-1bit to a hard drive's spare sector once spinrite
says "i'm done working with this sector".)  It leads to a very
successful rate.

> What? Linux and other file systems?
>
> Is this just marketing, in order to look good to the not very
> educated ones? Or do they not know what they're talking about?
>
> In fact, I will keep an eye on this program. Maybe it can help me
> get my data back (inode defect of $HOME entry). I'm reading their
> web page some more right now.

Again, works on the bits.  if it's a bit problem, it will do it's best
to fix the problem, unless it's a hardware defect and cannot be
relocated.  If enough sectors are relocated, and the drive has run out
of spare sectors, it's time to scrap the drive anyway.

>> slave the bad drive, read-only mount..  even if the FS is dirty,
>> read-only.. no fsck.
>
> You can at least do one fsck run without any modification options,
> like a "read only file system check". This of course can - like
> any read operation on the disk - be risky if the disk is fast
> degrading, simply by using it.

which is why i recommend against making changes to the disk until a
spinrite has completed.

Personally, I setup a spinrite to be net-bootable (not officially
supported).  I can write a walkthrough to people who want to net-boot
it.  I won't provide spinrite, of course.

I currently netboot:
  FreeBSD
  memtest86
  spinrite

with no changes to my setup any time I want to boot anything.