Date:      28 Mar 2002 22:09:22 -0500
From:      Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        chip@chocobo.cx
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sound on Sony VAIO PCG-GR300

--=-OZz9JhOB4gvf44LLmNS/

On Thu, 2002-03-28 at 17:44, Chip Marshall wrote:
> Okay, I got my VAIO running FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE pretty happily, with
> Xfree86 4.2 up and running. Now I'm having trouble with the sound. I
> tried using the Open Sound drivers, but they just complain about
> "i810: Output timed out", apparently regardless to configuration. So
> now I'm trying the FreeBSD drivers.
>=20
> In /boot/loader.conf, I put snd_ich_load=3D"YES", and rebooted. It
> appears to load the ich and pcm modules just fine. But I end up
> getting a bunch of these:
>=20
> pcm0: <Intel 82801CA (ICH3)> irq 9 at device 31.5 on pci0
> pcm0: unable to map IO port space
> device_probe_and_attach: pcm0 attach returned 6
>=20
> According to Windows XP (in which sound works fine), the sound device
> is using IRQ 9 and IO ports F600-F6FF and FEC0-FEFF.

Yep, this is the same problems I got.  The closest thing I got to
working sound was under -CURRENT with a -CURRENT-only kernel option.  I
eventually sold my laptop to a friend, and bought a Dell Inspiron 8100.=20
He is fine with Windows, and I am happily running -stable with 1600x1200
24-bit video, and full stereo sound. =20

Joe

>=20
> Any pointers on making this work? It's the one thing holding this back
> from being the perfect laptop for me.
>=20
> Well, that an mozilla won't run, but that's another issue.
>=20
> --=20
> Chip Marshall <chip@chocobo.cx>               http://www.chocobo.cx/chip/
> GCM/CS d+(-) s+:++ a20>? C++ UB++++$ P+++$ L- E--- W++ N@ o K- w O M+ V--