Date:      Tue, 01 Dec 2020 14:04:47 +0900 (JST)
From:      Yasuhiro KIMURA <yasu@utahime.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Size of EFI system partition is much smaller when it is mounted

From: Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2020 21:44:58 -0700

> 11.x puts a pre-canned image into the ESP that's tiny, regardless of the
> size, while 12.x does a newfs_msdos and sizes it properly. It's kinda hard
> to fix in 11.x since there's a number of changes in a number of places.
>
> You can, though, on 11.x, newfs_msdos the filesystem and copy boot1.efi
> from FreeBSD's /boot to the ESP's \efi\boot\bootx64.efi if you need more
> space on the ESP for some reason.

Thank you for explanation. What I would like do is to update loader
file keeping old one as backup after freebsd-update, something like

# mount -t msdosfs /dev/ada0p1 /mnt
# cd /mnt/efi/boot
# mv bootx64.efi bootx64.efi.old
# install -m 755 -p /boot/loader.efi bootx64.efi

And 779KB is too small to put 2 loader files. So I'll try reformatting
EFI system partition.

---
Yasuhiro KIMURA