Date:      Fri, 3 Aug 2001 12:22:28 -0600
From:      Duke Normandin <01031149@3web.net>
To:        Freebsd Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   CDROM on 2nd controller

Hello folks....

I'm still running 3.3R on a 486DX2-66/16M RAM. On my 1st IDE controller I
have 2 HDDs that the BIOS detects OK -- the master does DOS; the slave
BSD. /var/run/dmesg.boot shows wdc0 on irq14 @ 0x1f0. I use UNILOAD to
dual-boot -- no probs!

I also have a 2nd IDE controller unto which is hung a NEC CDROM changer
jumpered as "master". I set the BIOS to "2nd controller present = 1" --
as opposed to the other choices of "none" or "2". When I boot the
machine, my 2 HDDs are detected, but I keep on getting "secondary HDC
failure". I press F1 and then it boots normally. Yet, when I boot FBSD,
/var/run/dmesg.boot also shows wdc1 on irq15 @ 0x170, as well as properly
detecting the CDROM changer. How can that be, if the BIOS is choking on
the 2nd controller? BTW, the CDROM is the only device on this channel!

All the above is background info because nothwithstanding FBSD detecting
the controller AND the CDROM, I can't mount the sucker! I tried several
times last night only to get a relevant process (ps -ax) with a "D"
status, i.e. uninterruptable. It never did mount. I couldn't 'kill' the
process no way, no how. When I did a 'shutdown -h now' the kernel choked
a bit and hung -- so I hit the 'reset' button.

<sidebar>
What's the proper to 'kill' processes that can't be interrupted like the
above scenario?
</sidebar>

$less /etc/fstab
# Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump
Pass#
/dev/wd1s1b             none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/wd1s1a             /               ufs     rw              1       1
/dev/wd1s1f             /usr            ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/wd1s1e             /var            ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/acd0c              /cdrom          cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
/dev/acd1c              /cdrom1         cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
/dev/acd2c              /cdrom2         cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
/dev/acd3c              /cdrom3         cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
/dev/fd0.1440           /mnt/flp        msdos   rw,noauto       0       0
/dev/fd0                /mnt/flp        ufs     rw,noauto       0       0
/dev/wd0s1              /mnt/dos        msdos   rw,noauto       0       0
proc                    /proc           procfs  rw              0       0
/etc/fstab (END)

$ ls /dev/acd*
/dev/acd0a  /dev/acd0c  /dev/acd1c  /dev/acd2c  /dev/acd3c

My gut feeling says that I've got a hardware issue -- but I don't know
what. The cable is good; the controller is OK; I've used other slots with
the same results; yada yada! Am I pooched, and that's it? Hit me with
your wisdom, guys! Tia....
--
-duke
Calgary, Alberta, Canada