Date:      Fri, 5 Oct 2001 10:11:45 -0700
From:      "Jay Rossiter" <jrossiter@symantec.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Program suddenly becomes stuck in getblk and biowr?

     A program that I work on suddenly started having problems when I moved
to 4.4-RELEASE the other day.  A program that used to take an hour or two
to do its work is now taking six to eight hours to do the same amount of
work.

     Running top, the first thing I noticed was that the app appears as if
it has suddenly become completely IO bound where this was never the case
before.  (It is very I/O intensive, but not to the degree that it's
performing now).   Previously this program would knock off 90%+ of the CPU
for itself and do its work in a RUN state.   Now it's bouncing between
GETBLK and BIOWR and taking 5% of the CPU with an occasional hiccup that
takes it to 15% for a couple seconds.

     Since this was a drastic change, I'm doubting it's hardware.  (Just
for reference, it's a P4 1.4GHz with ATA100 drives)  Was there some drastic
change to I/O code between 4.3 and 4.4?