Date:      Thu, 13 Jan 2005 20:57:07 +0100
From:      Anthony Atkielski <atkielski.anthony@wanadoo.fr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hyperthreading hurts 5.3?

Olivier Nicole writes:

ON> It was dead for good, well it is still dead as a matter of fact :)

The AMD processor on my XP system overheated and stalled a few times, before
I realized that the (brand-new) fan had failed.  It still runs okay now,
though, with a reliable fan.

The other AMD processor, on my server, dramatically overheated for 8-12
hours at a time (process stuck in a loop--I never found out why).  It
damaged something that failed intermittently at first (segment
violations in the kernel and in daemons that should never have such
problems), then got worse and worse over a few days, until it failed
completely.

ON> So did I, so did I, but one sees strange things when buying a machine
ON> from a cheap assembly shop (I was not the first buyer, I just got the
ON> machine when it became unusable and then I was curious so I opened it,
ON> what the first owner never did).

I decided to build my own.  I was tired of not knowing what was inside
the machine, and finding out the hard and expensive way that many
corners had been cut.  I also got tired of having stacks and stacks of
unused stereo mini-speakers, ultra-cheap keyboards, and equally cheap
mice.  Not to mention paying for Windows and a boatload of absolutely
useless garbage software that I was just going to wipe away immediately
in favor of FreeBSD (and I configure my FreeBSD systems to run FreeBSD
exclusively--none of this dual-boot stuff).  It gives me strange
pleasure to think that the current server has never gotten anywhere near
Windows.  FreeBSD was the first OS to deflower the virgin disk drives.

--
Anthony