Date:      Sun, 25 Oct 1998 14:29:34 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Harlan Stenn <Harlan.Stenn@pfcs.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: debugger("bt742a")?

On Saturday, 24 October 1998 at 23:20:49 -0400, Harlan Stenn wrote:
> Greg,
>
> The two 4-mm drives I have are Connor DDS-2 drives, and they're probably
> about 2 years old.  Neither gets a lot of use.  I clean them more often
> than the cleaning light comes on (which is usually after an older tape gets
> read).

You shouldn't overclean either.  The cleaning tape is harsher on the
heads than normal tapes.

> Is it "worth" overhauling the DDS-2 drives?

Depends on what you mean by "worth".  The only time I ever had a DDS(-1)
drive overhauled, it worked for about a week and then stopped again.
Next time I'll get a guarantee.

> I've avoided 8mm because I'm not fond of the wear caused by helical
> scanning.

DDS drives are helical scan too.  Take a look through the slit.

> If this is true, I figure my choices are:
>
> - Overhaul my existing drives
> - get new 4mm drives
> - get DLT drives (*Much* more expensive)

Yes, *if* this is true.

> If I could find a writable DVD drive I'd consider that as my backup medium.
> CDRoms at 600M are just too small.
>
> Suggestions?

I've done a lot of head-scratching myself.  I'm just about to order
two new Seagate DDS-2s with 2 year guarantees.

> The "second" machine (ah controller and my primary amanda server) is
> where I first noticed the problem.  Lately, certain filesystems
> refuse to be backed up and end up on the holding disk, and I cannot
> amflush them to tape.  I noticed a rare disk sector I/O problem, and
> reformatted the disk.

That's probably overkill.  Don't you have bad sector remapping
enabled?

> Even so, when I would try to read or write a tape on this system, I
> would frequently get a system SCSI lockup that required hitting the
> reset button.  This is when I tried reading the tape on the "first"
> system (bt controller) and eventually discovered that I had to do
> this from vt0 to see that the kernel was trapping to the debugger.
>

> On the second machine (ah controller) I just get SCSI bus lockups,
> but no debugger traps (and when this happens I can't use the vulcan
> death grip to get in to the debugger).

Hmmm.  It could be a bug in the old SCSI driver, which was suffering
from neglect.  I'm seeing similar things myself.

Greg