Date:      Tue, 11 Nov 1997 18:44:48 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Eivind Eklund <perhaps@yes.no>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Religious ideals (was Re: Newest Pentium bug (fatal))

> If we should at all consider God as something to have as part of a
> scientific world-view

A belief in God transcends the scientific world-view, so limiting him to
that simple model is bogus.

> whether to believe in Him is a purely personal question - there is
> nothing in the world to indicate that He exists.

That the world exists is certainly existance that he could existance.
Where do you come from?  What is your purpose in life?  Those kinds of
questions science cannot come up with very good answers (most 'theories'
are in fact just that, theories based on limited understanding and
knowledge based on many assumptions.)

> I'm not denying anybody's faith - I'm just saying that unless it can
> be used to create better predictions of the world, it is purely that -
> faith.

No one's arguing that faith isn't necessary for belief in God.

> Predictions is the only form of evidence that exists, for all
> of science, and all of our (true) perception.

Not true.  Faith can also create 'true' perception as well, if you
'believe'. :)

What is 'Truth'.  Is truth based on your perception, or on what actually
happens?

> The belief in God is likely to go outside proof

Right, you're using a finite model to describe an infinite being.

> ... which leaves us with the existence of God and mass psychosis being
> equally likely from the evidence of our senses, and mass psychosis
> explaining MORE, as it include all religions ;-)

That's right.  Anything I don't understand or have a scientific
explanation for can be 'waved away' as personal problems an individual
has.  When in doubt, claim that they had an abused childhood or
misinformed parents. :)

Nate