Date:      Mon, 12 Oct 1998 18:38:17 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Michael Edwards <mike422@gte.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: root password

On Mon, Oct 12, 1998 at 12:02:08AM -0700, Michael Edwards wrote:
> I just got through installing FreeBSD and I was told to reboot.  I get a
> login prompt, where do I go from here.  I know Unix, but I can't figure out
> how to setup user accounts.  Is there a default password for root, or was I
> supposed to setup the root user before I rebooted.  Any comments will help!

You should be able to login as root and press enter instead of a password.
Then give root a password as soon as possible, write it down safely, and
create a user for yourself so you don't have to log in as root again.

But first, sort out a few of your mysteries here:
http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/newuser/newuser.html
(a bit easy for you, but it has the what you want too)
http://www.freebsd.org/projects/newbies.html
(an entry point to resources available for new users)

Come back and ask if you get stuck or can't find something.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-