Date:      17 Jan 2002 13:07:59 +0100
From:      Dmitry Karasik <dmitry@karasik.eu.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BACKUP SOFTWARE FOR FREEBSD

	Hi Chris!

On 16 Jan 02 at 12:20, "Chris" (Chris Shenton) wrote:
 Chris> I've been *very* happy with Amanda, in the ports collection.  I
 Chris> have it backup a few of my home boxes (FreeBSD, Solaris, Sunos) to
 Chris> a 4-tape jukebox I picked up cheap. Runs every night. Schedules
 Chris> which partitions to do and what dump levels based on priorities you
 Chris> assign to each, in case they won't all fit on one tape.
 Chris> www.amanda.org

Once I considered using amanda, and there was one thing not that clear.
It seems that it is unable to cope with dumps, greater than one tape.
Well, it's not freebsd headache, but how do you guys write backups
to this HP DLT 40 that uses 20G tapes from modern systems with
100+GB disks? My impression that these two 'options' are mutually exclusive,
but maybe there's someone who succeed? Anyone?

--
Sincerely,
	Dmitry

--- www.karasik.eu.org ---

Life ain't fair, but the root password helps.
                      - BOFH