Date:      Sun, 3 Nov 2002 02:27:25 +0100 (CET)
From:      Pawel Tyll <ofca@ofca.pl>
To:        brian@awfulhak.org
Cc:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   PPPoEd Bug.

Hi Brian,

Today, after few hours of fighting with FreeBSD, I found one nasty bug in
your PPPoEd implementation. It all started with accidental patching of
RASPPPoE windows PPPoE client (http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~normanb/).

There is a patch for RASPPPoE, which allows it to connect to non-RFC
compliant PPPoE servers, like 3Com modems. PPPoEd supports such clients,
however - after processing request from such client, it doesn't talk to
normal RFC-compliant clients anymore :( - it looks like a quite nice DoS
attack possibility for me, ISP, lots of RFC-compliant users, and one
kiddie with patched RASPPPoE...Patched clients can connect without
problems, PPPoE receives requests from normal clients, however it
(probably - didn't check it) answers them with modified ether-type,
which makes it impossible for them to 'hear' the answer. Hope you can
come up with a fix soon :)

Best regards,

Pawel 'ofca' Tyll.