Date:      Thu, 14 Sep 2017 16:49:36 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Perl5.24.2?

On 14/09/17 16:23, James B. Byrne via freebsd-questions wrote:
> I am trying to build a perl module (p5-DBD-Pg) which has the following
> setting in its Makefile:
>
> USE_PERL5=configure
>
> However, this gives the error that perl5.24.2 cannot be found.
> Perl5.24.1 is the version available through the package manager.  I am
> not comfortable with replacing the current version of Perl system-wide
> so I would like to simply have the module build with installed
> version.
>
> If I set USE_PERL5=5.24+ then the make file fails.  If I set
> USE_PERL5=5.24+ configure then it goes back to asking for and failing
> to find perl5.24.2.  How do I tell the module to use perl5.24.1 AND
> get it to configure?

Going from perl-5.24.1 to perl-5.24.2 is not a particularly risky
operation, although it might result in some churn with packages being
re-installed.  You may well find that biting the bullet and upgrading
generally is your fastest route to a solution and a quiet life...

I take it you're building this from source rather than using the
pre-compiled packages?  In which case, you'ld need to check out a copy
of the ports tree prior to the update of perl5.24.1 to 5.24.2.

Looks like you want r446021.  p5-DBD-Pg hasn't been updated in months,
so this will not be affected by reverting to a slightly older version of
the ports.

Note the pkg repository for the /quarterly/ packages (which is what you
get by default) will have perl-5.24.1 since that's what was current at
the end of June when the 2017Q3 branch was created.  For pkgs that match
what is currently in the ports tree, use the /latest/ packages.

	Cheers,

	Matthew