Date:      Wed, 1 Mar 2017 11:58:13 +1100
From:      Aristedes Maniatis <ari@ish.com.au>
To:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   CARP forcing failover

--FIB0n9UMiQ5g87f9oRhhxrnjCxN3q7B45
From: Aristedes Maniatis <ari@ish.com.au>
To: freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>

--dW0clSgju8NbpbR1wrbSTgcd6eJHkklb6

I have a pair network gateway boxes running FreeBSD 11 and pf. Upstream r=
uns VRRP to provide redundant links, one to each gateway. Internally I'm =
using CARP for failover.

All works well, but I find that manually failing over the link is a bit c=
omplicated. In short I have this:

em0: flags=3D8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric =
	status: active
	carp: BACKUP vhid 1 advbase 1 advskew 50
igb0: flags=3D8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric=
	media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex>)
	status: active
	carp: BACKUP vhid 2 advbase 1 advskew 50
igb0.2: flags=3D8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metr=
ic 0 mtu 1500
	status: active
	vlan: 2 vlanpcp: 0 parent interface: igb0
	carp: BACKUP vhid 3 advbase 1 advskew 50
	groups: vlan

That's two internal vlans and one external network. Each interface has it=
s own vhid since that's the advice I had in the past.

Now, what command can I type that I could run remotely (SSH over the em0 =
link) to force all the CARP addresses simultaneously to decrease the advs=
kew and become MASTER. Alternatively I could run something on the MASTER =
to make it BACKUP. Everything I've done so far is one command per interfa=
ce which has got me in trouble before as I manage to accidentally remove =
my own access to the box before I'm done.

Cheers
Ari

please cc me.

--=20