Date:      Tue, 07 May 1996 00:51:59 -0500
From:      Jeff Genender <jgenend@ibm.net>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PANIC: Cannot mount root

Michael Smith said:
>The BIOS drive numbers and SCSI minor numbers are out of sync.
>This is addressed in newer bootblocks, but you should be able to boot
>hd(1,a)/kernel without any problems.
>
>If this works, look in /usr/src/sys/i386/boot/biosboot and modify the
>Makefile and boot.c to default to this.
>
>If you can't work that out, come back and we'll talk you through it.

Michael,

Thanks for the insight.  hd(1,a)/kernel won't work because it forces a
pull of sd(0,a) and I need sd(1,a) (which also says that and input of
hd(n,a) with n being a number only pulls sd(0,a)).  I can't really get
into it, but FreeBSD needs to remain on my second SCSI.  There is no
doubt that the IDE is swallowing (0x80) and therefore killing the synch
on the drives.  I would love to hack the code, but I can't even get into
FreeBSD to begin with in order to compile the code.  If you can guide me
in a work around or even point me to where there may be a fix.  I am
told in some -current bootstrap version, there is a fix that allows you
to specify 3:sd(1,a) which means 3rd drive and the second on the SCSI
chain.  This I believe would solve all of my troubles.

If there is another direction, please let me know.  Thanks again for the
help.

Sincerely,

--
//Jeff Genender