Date:      Thu, 29 Nov 2001 08:31:55 +0100
From:      Gianmarco Giovannelli <gmarco@scotty.masternet.it>
To:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   wireless network, next step ...

At 17/11/2001, Peter Radcliffe wrote:
> > : CreditCard wireless LAN Xircom CWE1120
> > I think this is a rebadged Cisco/Aironet 340.  If so, it works.
>
>Yep. I have this from using them;
>
># Xircom rebadged Aironet PC4800 11Mbps 802.11 wireless NIC
>card "Xircom" "Wireless Ethernet Adapter"
>         config  0x5 "an" ?
>         insert  /etc/pccard_ether $device start
>         remove  /etc/pccard_ether $device stop

Some time ago I asked for some clues on some nic wireless. Following your
suggestion I put my hand on a Xircom kit (Ethernet Wireless starter kit, 2
pcmcia cards cwe 1120-Etsi and 1 Access Point apwe 1100).

The cards, as stated by Peter and the others  above, are Cisco Air-pcm340
(and they have it printed on the back) rebadged.
But they could do only 40bit encryption (Cisco An340 can do 128 encryption ???)

The first step in my wireless network went smoothly (strange :-).
Everything works out of the box, using the Access Point (plugged in the
hub, w/o any config) and one of the pcmcia card. No encryption yet :-)

The second step will be trying to put the second card in a netgear pci
adapter (pcmcia bridge) in a FreeBSD box (later this evening :-). Let's see
what happens.

In my Toshiba Portege the pccard.conf that works is:

# Xircom / Intel Wireless Ethernet, CWE 1120-ETSI 40bit encryption
card "Xircom" "Wireless Ethernet Adapter"
         config  auto "an" ?
         insert  /etc/pccard_ether $device start
         remove  /etc/pccard_ether $device stop

(Warner, please can you add an entry for this card also in the
/etc/defaults/pccard.conf ??)

That gives:

an0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
         ether 00:40:96:59:a1:ad
         media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect (DS/11Mbps)
         status: associated
         ssid default
         stationname FreeBSD
         channel 7 authmode OPEN powersavemode OFF powersavesleep 200
         wepmode OFF weptxkey 1

Now a question:
I don't have any ethernet driver in the kernel.
So I kldload the an driver when I need it.

Now I'd like to do a script that can config the card upon insertion.
The idea was something like this...

kldload /modules/if_an
/etc/pccard_ether an0 start
ifconfig an0 10.0.0.101 netmask 255.255.255.0
route add default 10.0.0.1
ifconfig -a

Unfortunately this doesn't work.
The question is :
Is possible to kldload the an0 driver from the pccard.conf or is it a
chicken-egg problem ?

I can arrange also in other way.
I use a simple pccard.conf like the above, I put the card inside the slot
and it fails allocation (it have not the an driver loaded yet, right).
Then I'd like to launch a script that kldload the driver and config the
card WITHOUT remove and insert the card again. I have tried to -hup the
pccardd, but it doesn't work...

#!/bin/sh
kldload /modules/if_an
sleep1
killall -hup pccardd
sleep1
/etc/pccard_ether an0 start
ifconfig an0 10.0.0.101 netmask 255.255.255.0
route add default 10.0.0.1
ifconfig -a

Any clues ?

Thanks...

Best Regards,
Gianmarco Giovannelli ,  "Unix expert since yesterday"
http://www.gufi.org/~gmarco