Date:      Fri, 12 Mar 1999 10:12:24 +0000
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott@dcs.qmw.ac.uk>
To:        unknown@riverstyx.net
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Guess we've lost the server market too...?

On Thu, Mar 11, 1999 at 04:15:42PM -0800, unknown@riverstyx.net wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Mar 1999, Jonathan M. Bresler wrote:
>
> > > Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 05:37:07 -0800 (PST)
> > > From: <unknown@hades.riverstyx.net>
> > [snip]
> > > essential services, like DNS and mail, 'coz from what I've heard, it's
> > > really quite stable, but that's about it. It doesn't appear to be usable
> > > in a really high performance environment for say, web hosting, but again
> > > that's a matter of poor documentation and information. Where can I get
> > > information like this?  It's pretty sparse out there...
> > [snip]
> >
> > 	well, Yahoo!, hotmail and Walnu
>
> And how does that help me?  They're not going to sit down with my servers
> and make 'em work.  There's no documentation for high performance BSD
> boxen out there.

Have you looked?  I admit, there's not a wall o' FreeBSD books down at your
local bookstore, but don't forget that BSD *is* UNIX, so anything on 'doing
<blah> with Unix' is probably applicable.  Not that most of that stuff is
worth the trees that died to produce it, but never mind.  None of the
software you'd use for web hosting is part of the OS anyway -- if you want
to know how to drive Apache, go read a book on Apache.

You want FreeBSD specific stuff?  There's X-thousand users/developers on
these mailing lists who are usually happy to help out anyone whose
questions aren't preceded by 'your OS is shit, but help me out for free
anyway'.  If you search the mailing list archives you'll find plenty on how
to build high-performance BSD boxen (eg, www.cdrom.com, probably the
busiest FTP server on the planet).  If you're prepared to put your money
where your mouth is, there's probably someone in your area who'll "sit down
with your servers and make 'em work", for a price.

HTH.  HAND,

	Scott