Date:      Tue, 22 May 2001 02:45:01 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        reed@reedmedia.net (Jeremy C. Reed)
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, fschapachnik@vianetworks.com.ar (Fernando P . Schapachnik), advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG (please don't continue on)
Subject:   Re: Exchange substitute

> > Sendmail + Cyrus IMAP from ports will do the job.
>
> This will do the shared/group calendaring?

It will transport Microsoft TNEF files as MIME attachments,
which lets you calendar between  OutLook users.

> > Are you using any esorteric features of Excahnge that we
> > should know about?  You may also need to add OpenLDAP 2.0
> > or other software, if you are.
>
> I also am curious about this. On Tuesday, I gave a presentation about BSD,
> open source, and Linux; and some of the audience asked me about
> alternatives for MS Exchange/Outlook -- in particular they were interested
> in providing shared calendars. (I guess this is called "groupware".)
> I have only heard about evolution, so it was my only answer.

See: http://www.imc.org/pdi/pdiprodslist.html

You are looking for the "vCalendar Products" table.

> Fernando, the "unix-based MS Exchange substitute" may really involve two
> parts: the server and the clients that work with it. You may want to see
> if the clients you are using support iCalendar or Open Mail.

OutLook supports RFC 2447 (iMIP) for interoperability, I think.

You may also want to check out "Meeting Maker" from OnTrack;
it has Mac and UNIX clients, and the server generally runs
on UNIX boxes.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---