Date:      Sat, 30 Jun 2001 02:49:53 -0500
From:      David Banning <david@skytrackercanada.com>
To:        Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@acadia.ne.mediaone.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Custom kernel install hitch

I am no veteran FreeBSD user, but as I understand any of the
-current branch, it is under development. I didn't see any previous
postings under your name, so I am assuming that maybe you don't know
this. Most folks responding to the -questions mailing list
are running 4.3 Stable or earlier.

My guess is that few watching the list would venture to answer 5.0-current
questions.

Hope this helps.

Cheers -

On Fri, Jun 29, 2001 at 04:14:15PM -0400, Louis LeBlanc wrote:
> Hey all.  I am trying to build a kernel with 5.0-CURRENT.  I did a
> make buildworld, followed by make installworld, then configured the
> kernel and did a make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL.
> So far all is peachy.
>
> In configuring the kernel, I removed (via comments) some of the
> devices I know I don't have (specific scsi stuff nothing that said
> required) and I specified my machine (i686 class)
>
> Now, as I said, everything is clean as a whistle so far, but what is
> the purpose of a /boot/device.hints file?  and how do I go about
> making one?  This, of course, is the problem that arises when I try a
> make installkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL.
>
> I am familiar with the practice of running lilo against a new kernel
> installation, but is there an equivalent in FreeBSD?
>
> TIA
> Lou
> --
> Louis LeBlanc
> Fully Funded Hobbyist, KeySlapper Extrordinaire :)
> leblanc@acadia.ne.mediaone.net
> http://acadia.ne.mediaone.net                ԿԬ

To generalize is to be an idiot.
		-- William Blake