Date:      Tue, 29 Dec 1998 13:08:52 -0500 (EST)
From:      Larry Lile <lile@stdio.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How do I ...

On Mon, 28 Dec 1998, Warner Losh wrote:

> In message <199812290553.NAA70876@spinner.netplex.com.au> Peter Wemm writes:
> : The catch is that the driver in question has to support unloading.  All the
> : existing network interfaces are pseudo-modules and only have a load
> : routine.  Obviously this requires a fair amount of work to detach a network
> : interface from the stack (including cleaning up routing tables, pcbs,
> : queued data, etc) - nobody has done this yet as far as I'm aware.  I
> : suspect there is a fair amount of infrastructure required to implement
> : this.
>
> I suspect that you are right.  I've been looking at all of the
> existing drivers (since I'm writing a new one), and have found they
> all cheat and use the compatibility cruft.  And even if they didn't
> cheat, they would have a heck of a time untangling things.
>
> I suspect that you are right.  I had hoped to get away from
> understanding those internals.  It may make sense to have a "if_dead"
> that is similar to deadfs where all "orphaned" interfaces go when they
> die.  Hmmm, I'll have to look at this more closely....

I am still working on my token-ring driver and have the same needs.
Rebuilding and rebooting is a huge waste of time, but since there is
no facility for removing network interfaces it seems the only way.

I will help out if you all want to fix this...  It would save me
hours of thumb twiddling.

Larry Lile
lile@stdio.com