Date:      Wed, 24 Apr 2013 20:34:30 +0100
From:      Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD-update?

On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 16:00:47 +0000 (UTC)
Walter Hurry <walterhurry@gmail.com> wrote:

> When I issue 'freebsd-update fetch install I see this:
> Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 3 mirrors found.
> Fetching metadata signature for 9.1-RELEASE from update5.freebsd.org...
> done.
> Fetching metadata index... done.
> Inspecting system... done.
> Preparing to download files... done.
>
> No updates needed to update system to 9.1-RELEASE-p2.
> No updates are available to install.
> So if 'No updates (are) needed to update system to 9.1-RELEASE-p2',
> how do I actually update to 9.1-RELEASE-p2?
>
> $ uname -r
> 9.1-RELEASE

	You have updated to 9.1-RELEASE-p2 - but since there have been no
kernel changes since 9.1-RELEASE the kernel version message hasn't changed.
This could very reasonably be regarded as bug in the update/version
reporting process but I wouldn't hold my breath for a fix, as things stand
the version reported only changes when the kernel is updated, or if you
recompile it after the update.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>