Date:      Fri, 07 May 1999 21:24:34 +0100
From:      David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange reboot saga

> A totally spontaneous reboot, with absolutely no console output
> whatsoever is almost certainly a hardware problem.  FreeBSD _will_not_
> reboot without telling you about it; in some extreme cases you will get
> a very terse message (usually indicating kernel stack overflow) but you
> will _always_ get something.
>
> So if you're rebooting with _no_ console output at all, look to your
> hardware.

To be fair though - it can be very easy to miss these messages. If X is
running you don't stand a chance and if its a page fault there is no
evidence left in the log files either. Deadlocks don't produce any messages
by their very nature ;-)

Would it be possible to dump the page fault info somewhere it can be got
back again? I know the kernel is probably messed up if you've hit a page
fault, but it can't be than much worse than trying to sync disks after
a panic. Atleast you might get a log message then.

	David.