Date:      Sun, 29 Oct 2000 18:34:56 -0800
From:      Arun Sharma <adsharma@sharmas.dhs.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   softupdates and (avoiding) fsck

I have enabled softupdates on my /usr partition. However, when I hit
the power button and the machine comes back up, it insists on fscking
/usr. I'm running 5.0-current on a 4.0 box in which I enabled softupdates
using tunefs.

$ mount
/dev/ad4s2a on / (ufs, local)
/dev/ad4s2f on /usr (ufs, local, soft-updates)
/dev/ad4s2e on /var (ufs, asynchronous, local)
procfs on /proc (procfs, local)

$ cat /etc/fstab
# Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump    Pass#
/dev/ad4s2b             none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/ad4s2a             /               ufs     rw              1       1
/dev/ad4s2f             /usr            ufs     rw,async        2       0
/dev/ad4s2e             /var            ufs     rw,async        2       2
proc                    /proc           procfs  rw              0       0

Can anyone please explain how to use softupdates and not pay the
long fsck penalty ?

Thanks!

	-Arun