Date:      Thu, 15 Nov 2001 17:34:20 +0000
From:      Josh Paetzel <friar_josh@webwarrior.net>
To:        brain_damaged <brain_damaged@florida-wireless.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freebsd security howto question

On Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 05:50:59PM -0500, brain_damaged wrote:
> "One thing you can do is to tell your syslog daemon NOT to listen
> to syslog messages from other systems by running your syslog daemon
> in secure mode. To do so, add "-s" switch in your /etc/rc.conf
file."

> if i do this i get an error so i assume he/she mistyped it or wrote
> it thinking someone with more intelligence would better understand
> what to do :-)
>
> what should actually go there ? is it to be in some other file
> like syslog.conf ? if so how tho ?
>
> thanks
> hacked once paranoid for life

You need to put this in /etc/rc.conf
syslogd_flags="-s"

I am running 4.4-STABLE and that is the default.  I don't know if it
would be different for any other version of FreeBSD.  You can check on
your system by doing $grep syslogd /etc/defaults/rc.conf
If the flags line comes up with a -s then you are already running
syslogd in secure mode.

Josh

p.s. You email had lines that were over 100 characters long.  Please
set your mailer to wrap lines at 70 characters.  A lot of us use text
mailers that don't deal with long lines very well at all.