Date:      Sun, 1 Feb 2009 12:33:56 +0000
From:      Matt Dawson <matt@chronos.org.uk>
To:        Alex Goncharov <alex-goncharov@comcast.net>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unhappy Xorg upgrade

On Saturday 31 January 2009 21:25:21 Alex Goncharov wrote:
> So, a *fundamental* (practically an OS component) port is brought in
> -- and it disables my system. =A0What is my way of action? =A0Right --
> install the old packages, taken from an FTP site (is there a way to
> get the previous "source", that is all the ports/*/*/Makefile files?
> Csup can only go forward -- or can it go back?)

Yes, it can. Read the man page for csup. You can set something like
tag=3D. date=3D2008.12.20.12.00.00 in your supfile and get back to (within =
reason)=20
any historic point in the tree. You can also tell portupgrade, if you use i=
t,=20
to hold off on certain upgrades (try pkg_info -r xorg-7.3_2 for a full list=
 of=20
packages to hold in portupgrade.conf, HOLD_PKGS define) if you want to stay=
=20
current, although I can see a few ports failing with odd deps after they've=
=20
been touched by the Xorg bump, so you'd probably be better off using the=20
supfile's date method to preserve compatibility between ports. No idea what=
=20
magical incantation to feed to portmaster or portsnap as I've never used th=
em.

That is not to say the new Xorg doesn't work. The only problems I've seen o=
n=20
Radeons needed a couple of options lines in xorg.conf due to the=20
hald/dbus/xorg race and an fdi to make the keyboard layout match what I=20
actually have rather than "us". Easily fixed for now and 7.4 brings some fi=
xes=20
to my systems that I have been awaiting for quite some time, most notably t=
he=20
horrendous XPress 200M chipset now works with DRI.

Best regards,
=2D-=20
Matt Dawson
MTD15-RIPE