Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 2000 09:57:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   *weird* post-upgrade problem

Before I start digging into this, I thought someone might have a lead
for me.  The archives say nothing, although I'm not sure how to search
on something like this.  ("Just Plain Weird" generates too many hits.)

I just upgraded to yesterday's -current from last week's -current.
via make buildworld, make buildkernel, make installkernel, and make
installworld, mergemaster, blah blah blah.

Now, when I boot, I get:

No /boot/loader
>>FreeBSD/i386 BOOT
Default: 0:ad(0,a)/kernel
boot:

So, I typed in the default.  Nothing seemed to happen, but the hard
drive lit up, so I figured that I'd leave it be.  No dmesg appeared.

Moments later, however, a login prompt appears.  The keyboard is still
nonresponsive.  I can access network services the laptop offers, but I
don't have telnetd or sshd installed. :(

Does anyone have *any* clue on where I should start to look?  I'm
rigging up a serial console as soon as I'm done here.

Thanks,
==ml