Date:      Sat, 30 Apr 2005 00:34:20 +0100
From:      "Peter Jeffery" <peterj@qubesoft.com>
To:        "/dev/null" <null@dnswatch.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: boot banner project

----- Original Message -----
From: "/dev/null" <null@dnswatch.com>
To: "Toxa" <postfix@sendmail.ru>
Cc: <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Sent: Friday, April 29, 2005 11:50 PM

> Fair enough. Just so you can better appreciate *my* personal
> preference(s).
> I have 30+ servers. All of which originally were running some sort of
> M$
> product. It may interest you to know that only *2* of them have M$ on
> them
> now. Their days are numbered. ;) Now, I do find that "clicking around"
> *can* be the most effecient way to accomplish some things. *IF* the
> path
> to the destination is the shortest. Unfortunately for M$ products, the
> newer the product, the *longer* the path - getting things done w/ a
> mouse
> in M$ requires taking the scenic route. So, having found that FreeBSD
> is
> by far and away the most *effeciently* functioning OS available. I
> naturally chose it for those servers. The fact that I chose it should
> say
> something for character, no? While what I propose for the boot scrn
> does
> potentially add some more bits to ones install image. It is *optional*
> meaning it is not a requirement. Remember, alot of FBSD installs are
> workstations (a place for computer enthusiasts and the likes) that
> simply
> provide a place to hold their digital toys and eye candy - provide
> some
> sort of visual stimuli. While this is not "my cup of tea" it is to a
> large
> number of ppl.
> I realize this was a l o n g reply. But I had hopped that we might
> have
> a better understanding now and not turn this "opinion" into a *huge*
> thread. :)

If you have a systems room with a good collection of different OS's this
gets me thinking about PR for your OS. Do you not want a way to show off
to people that the servers are running FreeBSD, obviously the console
screen savers do some of this for you, but if somebody sees a server
rebooting and it's just a bunch of text scrolling past until you get to
a login prompt, then you get nothing.

Even just some ASCII art, indicating that it's 'Powered by FreeBSD' gets
you PR for the OS for pretty much nothing. There are a lot of people out
there, that might use FreeBSD, that use Linux, because they haven't even
heard of FreeBSD and I would imagine that a PC that people see booting
into something that is not windows will always be assumed to be Linux
too, unless it is clearly stated somewhere during boot.

Just a mad midnight thought.