Date:      Fri, 15 Sep 2000 20:55:55 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Doug Lee <dgl@visi.com>
To:        Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Better way to update ports using pkg_version -c ?

> Huh, if the dependency had been previously built and installed then
> re-building the parent port would not cause the dependency to be
> rebuilt, unless the dependency was out of date (i.e. the current
> version was newer than the nstalled version).

Oops, teach me to read my script files more carefully! :-)  Ok, the
subports (dependencies) don't get rebuilt, but they do get cleaned.  I
suppose that's not so bad.  I saw things like "Cleaning for
gettext..." and files there being deleted, and just assumed it, like the
ports being built explicitly, would get rebuilt.

So the only thing I still feel I should propose is that `make clean' or
something similar be added to the normal output of `pkg_version -c' to
avoid accidents like I just had, where a port vanishes without being
replaced.