Date:      Wed, 28 May 1997 12:54:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jaye Mathisen  <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>
To:        scsi@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Boot problems/sd1/I'm sorry, I think ahc is acting funky.

I posted this a few days ago, but now it's really biting me in the butt,
and I'd like to see if it's fixable before I throw out the baby and the
bathwater.

I have a box with a 3940UW and 2940AU.  In the BIOS scan of the PCI bus,
it finds the 3940 first, then the 2940.  Swapping cards in the PCI slots
confirms this order.

*however*, when FreeBSD boots, it *always* finds the 2940 first, and
assigns it as ahc0, and the 3940 as ahc1 and ahc2.  This is broke I think.

This is problematic, as when booting (since I have a JAZ drive on the
2940), It assigns sd0 to the JAZ, *and* makes me type:

0:sd(1,a)/kernel

to the boot blocks to boot each time, which is a major drag.

This behaviour seems specific to FreeBSD, as other OS's find them in the
same order as the BIOS scan.

IS this easily fixable?