Date:      Tue, 30 Apr 2002 19:33:04 +0300
From:      Jarkko Hietaniemi <jhi@iki.fi>
To:        perl5-porters@perl.org
Cc:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>, Josef Karthauser <joe@tao.org.uk>, Chris Nandor <pudge@pobox.com>, Christopher Masto <chris@masto.com>, Raphael Manfredi <Raphael_Manfredi@pobox.com>, Jordan Hubbard <jkh@freebsd.org>, perl5-porters@perl.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, tobez@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Save a few hunderd kilobytes or a few hundred perl users?

(I promise that this is my last message about this matter to this large a
recipient list.  Who is the maintainer of the Perl package in FreeBSD?
Anton Berezin, I think? tobez@freebsd.org CCed.)

Though I disagree with the tone of Dan Kogai, I must agree on the
technical grounds that leaving away standard modules and still calling
it "Perl" is not quite right.

I think both from the viewpoints of the Perl distribution *and* an OS
distribution *IF* modules have to be left out for space-saving reasons
the fair thing to do would be to make it clear to the users of the OS
distribution that what they are getting is not the full Perl.  This
will cut down the number of misunderstandings on both sides.

Firstly, both the outputs of perl -v and perl -V should be amended.
For example:

  $ perl -v

  This is perl, v5.6.1 built for i686-freebsd

  THIS INSTALLATION HAS BEEN MODIFIED FOR FREEBSD.  NOT ALL STANDARD
  MODULES ARE INCLUDED.  The missing modules are: ...
  To get the full standard installation, install ...

  Copyright 1987-2002, Larry Wall

  Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic License or the
  GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 5 source kit.

  this system using `man perl' or `perldoc perl'.  If you have access to the
  Internet, point your browser at http://www.perl.com/, the Perl Home Page.

Secondly, as the above message indicates, there should be a full Perl
installation available, using whatever packaging method is used by the
OS distribution.

--
$jhi++; # http://www.iki.fi/jhi/
        # It is 'dead'. -- Jack Cohen