Date:      Sat, 12 Nov 2005 09:26:53 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Frank Staals <frankstaals@gmx.net>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Printing problem with CUPS && LPD

At 12:16 PM +0100 11/12/05, Frank Staals wrote:
>Hey,
>
>I have a HP LaserJet 1010 and I was trying to get it working with
>FreeBSD, so I installed CUPS and configured it to recoginize the
>printer and it does, I can successfully print a testpage using the
>webinterface. So I was trying to print a file from commandline
>with lpr, but there is something weird. This is the ouput of lpstat:
>
>root@Print# lpstat -p -v -d
>printer HP1010 is idle.  enabled since Jan 01 00:00
>        CUPS v1.1.23 is ready to print.
>device for HP1010: usb:/dev/ulpt0
>system default destination: HP1010
>
>but when I try printing a file using the command:
>
>root@Print# lpr -PHP1010 /etc/motd
>
>this shows up at my dmesg :
>
>Nov 12 12:05:16 Print lpd[1905]: /dev/lp: No such file or directory
>
>LPD is trying to print to /dev/lp instead of /dev/ulpt0, but ...

Does CUPS install its own version of `lpr'?  I suspect it does.
See if you have a /usr/local/bin/lpr in addition to /usr/bin/lpr.
If you do, then see if that version of lpr works.

What you probably need to do is remove /usr/bin/lpr, or make it
into a symlink to /usr/local/bin/lpr.  You would also want to
add to /etc/make.conf a line something like:

NO_LPR=yes