Date:      Sat, 9 May 1998 13:18:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        CharIesFox <CharIesFox@aol.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: help me!

On Sat, 9 May 1998, CharIesFox wrote:

> p.s. this was writen at 3:05am by a tried and frankly frustrated person so
> please excuse mispelling or miscapitialization.

This is a bad idea.  Writing monolithic paragraphs is a good way for your
messages to get ignored.  Normally I would dump this message since I don't
like taking the time to fix people's English so I can responsibly answer
the question.

Let me see what I can find here...

> I find that the install program for this FreeBSD 2.2.6 is boogling my mind.

In what way?

> first let me say I started off by spliting up my windows 95 partitioned
> area into two part's one part is 794 megs (The Windows and all the other
> programs from C:\), while the other part is 1054 megs now that's way way
> larger then I need for this linux platform and therefor i'm wasting huge
> amount's of memory on the now standard drive.

Okay.

> Second I installed FreeBSD
> 2.2.6 once from the disc which had problems such as the xwindows wont
> set up properly on any setting (which to my utmost disappointment makes
> me incredible sad) ,

Where did you install FreeBSD to?  The 1054MB slice where Linux previously
was?  Linux and FreeBSD both use XFree86, so if it worked under Linux it
will certainly work under FreeBSD.

If you needed help, why didn't you ask?

> So I deleted that partition and then used fdisk.exe
> to partition an Extended DOS Partition then installed useing Setup.exe
> to install to a dos partition but I have no idea how to run the system.

That won't work.  FreeBSD requires it's own slice type.

> Every time I reboot and use the boot disk it takes into the install
> program for installing it to yet another partition, at this point I just
> wanna recombine my partition's and forget this ever was attempted.

You'll need some more advanced tools to do that, either Partition Resizer
(on the FreeBSD CD in tools/) or Partition Magic (a commercial program).

> I Believe your product is great I believe the Xwindows and windows
> manger's makes it awsome and easy to use, but none of these things will
> work on my computer therefor I have no way to use your product so please
> help me in fixing the mess it has made.

You're giving up too easily.  Go get some sleep then try it again. :)