Date:      Sat, 15 Sep 2001 21:22:44 -0400
From:      parv <parv_@yahoo.com>
To:        Oscar Castaneda <oscarcvt@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: can i use pine to recieve hotmail email?

this was, on the fateful occasion around Sep 15 03:12 -0400,
sent by P. U. (Uli) Kruppa

> Hi Oscar!
>
> On Sat, 15 Sep 2001, Oscar Castaneda wrote:
>
> > ...i was wondering if i could use pine to
> > check/download email stored in my hotmail account??
>
> First of all you have to find out, if hotmail offers a
> POP3-service (Most Internet Service Providers do, if not take
> yahoo.com or any other). POP3 is a protocol that allows your
> computer to download emails from remote machines. Your ISP
> will give you his POP3-adress (something like
> pop.hotmail.com or so).
>
> When you have got that and you really want to use
> (the very fast, but not so nice to look at) pine, you have
> to install fetchmail (/usr/ports/mail/fetchmail) first.

just something to think about...

oscar, when you are done w/ basic setup (fetchmail, pop3/imap server
access, postfix, procmail, etc.), you may want to use ssh(1) to
retrieve mail if ISP provides ssh access in addition to mail.

the only reason that i use ssh to fetch mail so that login password
isn't sent in clear. just try tcpdump(1).