Date:      Mon, 30 Oct 1995 12:54:53 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        csw@artemis.com (chris warth)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: questions about 'update'

chris warth stands accused of saying:
> Anyway, I played with the "update" frequency, first setting it 300
> seconds.  Instead of seeing a steady 100 hits/sec then I saw a brief
> initial spurt of 100 hits/sec that dropped down to a pretty steady 70
> hits/second.

How much logging are you doing?

> So the real question is, if update is turned off, and the disk cache is
> not getting flushed, what causes the hit rate to drop by
> from 100 hits/sec to 70 hits/sec after a while?

Use netstat to see how many TCP connections you have in FIN_WAIT.  You may
be suffering a slowdown due to an enormous number of connections unclosed.

> to disk?  The files have all been opened "read-only".  Is it spending
> all of its time writing the last-accessed time in the inode??  If so
> it seems a terrible waste and I'll want to turn that off to make a
> really fast server.

If you want to experiment with this, mount the filesystem containing the
pages read-only.

> -csw

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" -Terry Lambert  UNIX: live FreeBSD or die! [[