Date:      Mon, 29 Sep 2003 09:27:14 +1000
From:      Ekrem <ekrem@ozemail.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Sendmail:  Do I need it running?

On Mon, 2003-09-29 at 02:00, Rus Foster wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Sep 2003, Ekrem wrote:
>
> > Hi people,
> >
> > I'm using FreeBSD on my standalone desktop PC. I use dialup for the
> > internet and use Evolution as the email client, but the following 2
> > processes always running;
> >
> > sendmail: accepting connections (sendmail)
> > sendmail: Queue runner@00:30:00 for /var/spool/clientmqueue (sendmail)
> >
> > Do they need to be running for things like daily/weekly cron jobs that
> > send emails to root, or for any other purpose?
>
> No if you aren't using SMTP to receive email from outside your can disable
> these by putting sendmail_enable="no" in /etc/rc.conf then just kill of
> the processes
>
> Rus

Thanks for your reply.

Actually, I am retrieving my emails from my ISP's SMTP server but I know
I don't need to run sendmail to retrieve them. I did kill those 2
processes. I'm just too sure if it will have some impact on email
notifications.

Interestingly, I do have sendmail_enable="NO" in my /etc/rc.conf file,
yet sendmail continues to automatically start whenever I reboot.

I might have to go learn more about auto-start processes.