Date:      Tue, 23 Apr 1996 20:57:23 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        lehey.pad@sni.de
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, mmead@Glock.COM, smpatel@FreeBSD.org, current@FreeBSD.org, ec0@s1.GANet.NET
Subject:   Re: possible 4th option? [Re: kern/1102]

Greg wrote:

> > The ELF specification defines a mechanism for adding extra identifying
> > information to an executable file: the PT_NOTE program header, and
> > associated SHT_NOTE section...
>
> Sounds reasonable, even if it's a bit tedious.

It's not too bad, really.  I've got it working in the compiler+linker
now, and I've looked at the kernel code in imgact_elf.c.  That code
already has to scan and interpret the program headers, so there's not a
lot of extra work to be done.

> > I'm going to try to add this kind of identification to our FreeBSD ELF
> > executables, and fix the kernel to recognize them.  (Unfortunately, as
> > usual, the binutils code maze is doing its best to make this difficult
> > for me.)  I'd like to coordinate this with the Linux people, if they're
> > interested.
>
> Good idea.  While you're at it, why not give Sun and SCO a chance to
> cooperate?

I would welcome that, but somebody else is going to have to approach
them.  Sorry, I'm just not an ambassador by nature.  And I only commit
unnatural acts in my paying job :-).