Date:      Wed, 18 Nov 2009 08:56:14 -0800
From:      Freddie Cash <fjwcash@gmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Support for SAS/SATA non-RAID adapters

2009/11/18 Gerrit K=C3=BChn <gerrit@pmp.uni-hannover.de>:
> On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 16:29:06 -0800 Freddie Cash <fjwcash@gmail.com> wrote
> about Support for SAS/SATA non-RAID adapters:
>
> FC> Any recommendations on other SAS/SATA controllers to look at (just no=
> FC> anything with MegaRAID in the name)?
>
> I installed a Supermicro AOC-USASLP-L8i card here some days ago. Should b=
> even cheaper than the ones you mentioned and comes with a LSI chip
> supported by mpt driver:
>
> mpt0@pci0:6:0:0: =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0class=3D0x010000 card=3D0xa68=
015d9 chip=3D0x00581000
> rev=3D0x08 hdr=3D0x00 vendor =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =3D 'LSI Logic (Was: Symbios L=
ogic, NCR)'
> =C2=A0 =C2=A0device =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =3D 'SAS 3000 series, 8-port with 1068E=
 -StorPort'
> =C2=A0 =C2=A0class =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0=3D mass storage
> =C2=A0 =C2=A0subclass =C2=A0 =3D SCSI
>
> I only installed it last week and cannot comment much on performance and
> stability up to now.

These look nice, and are in the $200-300 CDN range.  Have the same
mini-SAS connectors as the 3Ware cards we use, so wouldn't have to
re-cable the chassis.

Are you using these as standard disk controllers, or are you using the
RAID features (seems it supports RAID0 and RAID1 in hardware, RAID5 in
software)?  Reading through the manual right now, and it doesn't cover
using the card in non-RAID modes.  Wondering if the drives would show
up as normal da0 da1 da2 etc.

All of these (there's a couple variations on the card) appear to be
PCIe, though, no PCI-X.  We have 24 drive bays, and only 2 PCIe slots.
 Have 3 PCI-X slots, though, so would need at least 1 PCI-X
controller.

--=20
Freddie Cash
fjwcash@gmail.com