Date:      Wed, 28 May 2003 23:06:22 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Joel V <joel@starman.ee>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem adding new disk to existing installation (FreeBSD 4.8)

Joel V wrote:
> DEBUG: MakeDev: Unknown major/minor for devtype -
>
> I changed the ata100 cable. I checked the disk with WD's Data Lifeguard.
> The disk also worked fine in a Win2k workstation. All the BIOS settings
> are on auto. Someone suggested on doing "cd /dev/ && ./MAKEDEV all", but
> this didn't help. Also, FreeBSD detects both disks without problems:
>
> ad0: 114473MB <WDC WD1200JB-00CRA1> [232581/16/63] at ata0-master
> UDMA100
> ad2: 57241MB <WDC WD600JB-00CRA1> [116301/16/63] at ata1-master UDMA100
>
> Anyone seen something like this before? I found surprisingly little info
> on google.

Yeah; on a Via 82C686B IDE controller chip.  Force it to UDMA66;
if that doesn't help, look for a BIOS update to change your PCI
settings.  This was recently posted about on freebsd-chat.

According to one of the web sites, you can work around it by
disabling 2 PCI features in your BIOS, and setting the time-on
to 32ms or less.

Also on a CMD640B; the fix for that one is to not use the second
channel on the IDE controller, and stick a third party disk
controller card in one of the slots, instead.

Also on a disk on a seondary channel that wasn't jumpered for
slave mode, and when mixing disks from two manufacturers (no
your problem, if both are WD).

-- Terry