Date:      Wed, 1 Apr 1998 13:15:32 +0400
From:      =?koi8-r?B?4c7E0sXKIP7F0s7P1w==?= <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
To:        Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, phk@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: -current X11 slowdown confirmation

On Wed, Apr 01, 1998 at 05:59:33PM +0900, Kazutaka YOKOTA wrote:

> >Yes, very recent -current cause great X11 slowdown, I suppose some
> >latest phk's time variable related changes involved. What about possible
> >pieces of old code constantly polling for time without going to spl
> >protection, like syscons? With spl protection added they can cause great
> >slowdown.
>
> syscons refers to mono_time.tv_sec, but doesn't poll for it.
> Access to mono_time.tv_sec is atomic under i386, is it not?

Maybe it is not syscons, I just guess. Best slowdown indicator is
Netscape, it update icons/screen very slowly now. One strange thing I
found that once update stops completely and continues only when I move
mouse, so it maybe syscons /sys/mouse section in question.

--
Andrey A. Chernov
http://www.nagual.pp.ru/~ache/