Date:      Tue, 06 Mar 2001 10:02:26 -0600
From:      seebs@plethora.net (Peter Seebach)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Machines are getting too damn fast

In message <15013.2238.953211.516979@grasshopper.cs.duke.edu>, Andrew Gallatin
writes:
>FWIW: 1.2GHz Athlon, VIA Apollo KT133 chipset, Asus A7V motherboard,
>(PC133 ECC Registered Dimms)

Note that the KT does *NOT* support ECC.  A few places have claimed it does,
but the VIA chipset spec says it doesn't.  The KV or KX does (I forget the
model #), but the KT is secretly doing no error correcting at all.  I got
burned on this with an ABit VP6, which proclaims loudly that it supports ECC,
but doesn't actually *do* any.

-s