Date:      Fri, 3 Aug 2001 14:48:28 -0400
From:      Edward Glowacki <glowack2@msu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   XFree86 chewing up CPU

I recently upgraded my system to XFree86 4.1.0 to fix some problems.
Now my screen occasionally freezes, and a remote login shows XFree86
using up progressively more CPU (70,80,90,100%).  It's possible to
kill X (with -KILL only), but doing so leaves the screens in an
unusable state (i.e.  the console never comes back, even after
restarting X and switching to the console).  These lockups happen
fairly frequently, I've had as many as 2-3 in one day, none on
other days though.  Some system details:

OS Version:     FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE
X package:      XFree86-4.1.0_4     X11R6.4/XFree86 core distribution (complete)
                (downloaded from ftp.FreeBSD.org)
X driver:       ati
Video cards:    ATI Mach64 GT
                ATI Rage 128 Pro PF

Any thoughts on what might be causing this erratic behaviour, or
suggestions on how to fix it?  Thanks.

--
Edward Glowacki			glowack2@msu.edu
Michigan State University