Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 2002 19:41:00 +0100
From:      Neil Darlow <neil@darlow.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Authentication method change with openssh-3.3p1

Hi,

I've been running FreeBSD-4.6 sshd since it was released. Today I updated ssh
by overwriting base with openssl-0.9.6d and openssh-portable-3.3p1_5.

I renamed my server-side .ssh/authorized_keys2 to .ssh/authorized_keys and did
simple things like disable root login and password logins in sshd_config.

Before this upgrade my /var/log/auth.log had entries "Accepted publickey for
neil at ..." but after the upgrade it says "Accepted hostbased for neil at
...". This seems strange because, apparently, "HostbasedAuthentication no" is
the default for sshd_config.

At the first connection attempt after the upgrade I was prompted to add the
host key to my client known_hosts and it presented the server's RSA
fingerprint which, I think, is incorrect.

Does anyone know why there has been this change of authentication method when
it's supposed to be disabled? I'd like to have my public key authentication
back.

Regards,
Neil Darlow M.Sc.
--
1024D/531F9048 1999-09-11 Neil Darlow <neil@darlow.co.uk>
GPG Fingerprint = 359D B8FF 6273 6C32 BEAA  43F9 E579 E24A 531F 9048